The 'chakra system' is thought to have originated in India more than 4000 years ago, developing from an ancient tantric yoga tradition. The word chakra translates to 'wheel' in Sanskrit, the sacred language of Hinduism. It refers to the wheels of energy throughout the subtle body that work similarly to a whirlpool, drawing in an energy that corresponds with the nervous system.
There are believed to be over 360 chakras within the body but we often hear about the main seven. These seven chakras are stacked in a column of energy, starting at the base of the spine through to the top of the head.
When your chakras are open, you will feel balanced and content. However, when they become unbalanced due to every day highs and lows, it can have an affect on your overall physical and mental well being.
Therefore, it is important to keep these energy wheels aligned and open so energy can flow freely, creating balance and connection between body, mind, emotions and spirit.
Each of the seven chakras relates to a specific colour and vibrational frequency and corresponds to a different aspect of life. Below is a description of what each chakra may feel like if it is balanced, deficient or excessive along with possible therapies to help an unbalanced chakra.
1st Chakra - ROOT - Muladhara
Located at the base of the spine, the root chakra is associated with stability, security, survival, grounding, physical health and connection to the Earth.
Colour - Red
Element - Earth
Demon - Fear
Physical Body - Bones, feet, legs, spine, rectum, colon, adrenal gland
A balanced root chakra will allow a person to be energetically grounded, they will feel safe and secure and will have a sense of trust in the world.
A deficient first chakra will make a person feel disconnected from their body. They may be fearful, anxious and restless or have trouble focusing.
An excessive first chakra will make a person feel lazy, tired and sluggish. They may be fixated on the material, fear change and have rigid boundaries
Possible therapies to help balance a root chakra:
* Crystal - Red Jasper (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place at the base of the spine)
* Essential oil - Frankincense
* Affirmation - "I am grounded and secure."
* Activities - Walking (connecting the feet to the earth), hatha yoga, reflexology, gardening, cooking, meditation, reconnecting with the body.
2nd Chakra - SACRAL - Svadhisthana
Located in the lower back and abdomen, the sacral chakra is associated with emotions, creativity, nurturing, desire, sensation and sexuality.
Colour - Orange
Element - Water
Demon - Guilt
Physical Body - Ovaries, testicles, kidneys, uterus, lymphatic system
A person with a balanced sacral chakra will have healthy boundaries, a creative imagination, enthusiasm and the ability to experience pleasure.
A deficient second chakra may result in poor social skills, denial of pleasure and a general lack of desire, passion or excitement.
An excessive second chakra could make a person feel oversensitive, have a pleasure addiction, become emotionally dependent or obsessively attached.
Possible therapies to help balance a sacral chakra:
* Crystal - Orange carnelian (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place above the pubic bone)
* Essential oil - Cassia
* Affirmation - "I create my own happiness."
* Activities - Creating (Painting), swimming, dancing
3rd Chakra - SOLAR PLEXUS - Manipura
Located at the solar plexus, the third chakra is associated with will, purpose, spontaneity, self-esteem and vitality.
Colour - Yellow
Element - Fire
Demon - Shame
Physical Body - Digestive system, pancreas, metabolism
A balanced solar plexus chakra will provide feelings of confidence, a good self-esteem, appropriate self-discipline and a sense of one's personal power.
A deficient third chakra may make a person feel low in energy, become weak willed and have a low self-esteem.
A person with an excessive third chakra may be manipulative, stubborn, arrogant and controlling.
Possible therapies to help balance a solar plexus chakra:
* Crystal - Citrine (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place on the solar plexus)
* Essential oil - Lemon
* Affirmation - "I achieve whatever I set out to do."
* Activities - Risk taking, running, aerobics, deep relaxation
4th Chakra - HEART - Anahata
Located at the heart, the fourth chakra is associated with compassion, love, self-acceptance and integration.
Colour - Green
Element - Air
Demon - Grief
Physical Body - Heart, blood, circulation, lungs, breasts.
A person with a balanced heart chakra will feel compassionate, empathetic, loving and peaceful.
A deficient heart chakra will make a person feel withdrawn, lonely, critical and lacking in empathy.
An excessive heart chakra will make a person feel jealous, clingy and demanding.
Possible therapies to help balance a heart chakra:
* Crystal - Green Aventurine (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place on the heart)
* Essential oil - Rose
* Affirmation - "I am loved and accepted unconditionally."
* Activities - Dancing, self-acceptance, meditation, journaling, charity work, selfless action
5th Chakra - THROAT - Vissudha
Located at the throat, the fifth chakra is associated with personal truth, clear communication and resonance.
Colour - Blue
Element - Space
Demon - Lies
Physical Body - Throat, mouth tongue, thyroid, jaw, neck, larynx
A person with a balanced throat chakra will be a good listener, will speak with compassion and have clear communication.
A person with a deficient fifth chakra will have difficulty communicating, may be introverted and have a fear of speaking.
A person with an excessive throat chakra will have an inability to listen, will talk too much, gossip and interrupt.
Possible therapies to help balance a throat chakra:
* Crystal - Blue Lace Agate (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place at the throat)
* Essential oil - Peppermint
* Affirmation - "I communicate clearly and express myself honestly."
* Activities - Singing, chanting, listening to music, acting, automatic writing, practice silence
6th Chakra - THIRD EYE Ajna
Located at the brow, the sixth chakra is associated with perception, intuition, inspiration and imaginaition.
Colour - Indigo
Element - Light
Demon - Illusion
Physical Body - eyes, ears, head, pineal gland
A person with a balanced third eye chakra will be intuitive, imaginitive, perceptive and have good dream recall.
A person with a deficient sixth chakra will be insensitive, lack imagination and may be in denial or have difficulty seeing in to the future.
An excessive sixth chakra may result in delusions, obsessions and nightmares.
Possible therapies to help balance a third eye chakra:
* Crystal - Amethyst (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place on the brow)
* Essential oil - Lavender
* Affirmation - "I see clearly."
* Activities - Meditation, guided visualisations, dreamwork, visual stimulation, creating visual art
7th Chakra - CROWN - Sahasrara
Located at the top of the head, the crown chakra is associated with wisdom, spiritual connection and consciousness.
Colour - Violet
Element - Thought
Demon - Attachment
Physical Body - Pituitary gland, pineal gland, upper part of the brain
A person with a balanced crown chakra will be open minded, spiritually connected, thoughtful and able to analyse information.
A person with a deficient crown chakra may experience spiritual cynicism, have a rigid belief system and be dissatisfied with life.
A person with an excessive crown chakra may suffer from confusion, have spiritual addiction and dissociation from their body.
Possible therapies to help balance a crown chakra:
* Crystal - Clear Quartz (wear as jewellery, hold in the hand or place at the crown)
* Essential oil - Ylang Ylang
* Affirmation - "I am one with the Universe."
* Activities - Meditation, breathing techniques, yoga, learning and studying